Sunday, August 26, 2007

60th Wedding Anniversary



George and Lorayne Votrobeck will note their 60th wedding anniversary with a family dinner and a card shower hosted by their children. The former Lorayne Nebendahl and George Votrobeck exchanged marriage vows on Aug. 25, 1947, at the Little Brown Church in Nashua, Iowa. The couple’s children and spouses are Richard and Barb Votrobeck, Brenda and Terry Kerr, Robert and Mary Jo Votrobeck, Ronald and Maxine Votrobeck and Bonnie and Jim Biddle. They have 16 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.
WOW! I can't describe the feeling of celebrating this special day with Grandma and Grandpa George. It seems like eons since I first joined their family. One would say that we are born into our families, we don't join them. Well, not so with me and the Votrobecks. Shall I explain?
Mom and my dad divorced when I was very young. Five, I believe. Mom met Bob Votrobeck soon after, and they hit it off immediately. Bob feel in love with all 4'10" of my mother's beautiful, blue-eyed self, and not long after, she brought him home to meet us (my brother, Jason and I). He seemed ok. Young, maybe a little wild and crazy, but fun. It was obvious that Mom and Bob were in love. They were married 18 months after meeting. We have called him "Dad" ever since. When we met Grandma and Grandpa "George," we were told that their names were George and Lorayne. That is what we called them - at first. But Grandpa had other plans. "You can call us Grandma and Grandpa George," he told me. I was afraid of him at first. To my 6 year old eyes he was massive. The tallest man I had ever seen in my life! He had HUGE hands that swallowed up my own. You see, Grandpa was a farmer. I remember looking into his face, and seeing the kindest, twinklingest eyes, and I remember feeling so welcome on his lap and in his big hugs. Grandpa is of course, older now, but his eyes are still the kindest and twinklingest, and I still feel welcome wrapped in one of his big bear hugs.
Then there was Grandma. I loved her hair. It was so curly and fun. She always had a big smile, a contagious laugh, and was the best cook in the entire world! I still feel that way about her. I love everything about Grandma. I have since the day we met.
You see, Jason and I were never the "step" grandchildren. We were simply accepted into their family. We were (and are) their grandchildren, just like the rest.
I'm proud to be part of those 16 grandkids, and I'm happy that my kids are members of the 20 great-grandkids.
Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa George for welcoming us into your wondeful family. Happy 60th Wedding Anniversary.
Love, Cara Jo

No comments: