Monday, September 10, 2007

Stress? What Stress?

Stress can take numerous forms. It can be positive or negative, healthy or unhealthy. Stress can come from a number of people or places; work, home, the boss, friends, family, pets, etc. Some would say that moms are experts in the fields of stress management...

If that is true - I WANT THEM TO TELL ME THEIR SECRETS!!!

I'm going crazy. There, I've said it. It is now official. I am completely and totally out of my mind. Kids I can handle. Going back to school, is do-able. I truly do love my job. My husband is a decent enough guy that is easy to live with. Why is it then, when combined, the preceding put me at the end of my proverbial rope?

Kids: Yes, they are back to school and learning lots of new things. Mac is earning straight As already and adjusting fabulously. Tyler, in 8th grade and at the end of his middle school career, has fallen back into the old habit of doing his homework but not turning it in? His teachers are helpful - full of suggestions for getting him organized. Evidently, they do not understand my son. I could go on and on about the challenges of having an ADHD child. Some of you would take the role of the skeptic, saying that he isn't ADHD, it's just an excuse for laziness. Others of you would be empathetic to the situation. I need to work with him more - that is a virtual certainty. But - when?

College: When I went back to school in the fall of 2003, people asked me how I would fit it all in. My response was, "It will just fit." I was right about that. School crammed its way into my life and the consequences have been late nights (like this one), less sleep, but yes, growth and knowledge. I wouldn't change a thing. There is now light at the end of the tunnel with graduation just within reach. Spring of 2009 is my goal; and I WILL get there. I will wear my battle scars proudly, but I will get there.

Work: I said I love my job. I do. I can't imagine doing anything else right now. Keep in mind, that if I weren't typing, I would be making this statement through clenched teeth with my fingers crossed behind my back. Deep breaths, Cara, deep breaths.

Husband: God bless Larry. He puts up with more than he really should have to and I love him for it. I suppose I don't tell him enough. I have been so stressed out lately, that just about everything I say is dripping with sarcasm, and it is not directed at him personally. When I'm like this, I guess I just find fault with everything and everyone.

And then there is my health. I'm not 40 yet, but these days, I feel 60. What I wouldn't give to have the energy level of most 40 year-olds I know. To be out playing with my kids, fielding softballs with the church softball team, to be running, biking and hiking. I can't. Something is amiss with my pulmonary function. I'm having a pulmonary stress test tomorrow that will hopefully shed some light on the issue.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, pray that I find resolution to my stress. Pray that I can truly give it up to God and let Him do the worrying. Right now, I find that most difficult.

No comments: