Monday, April 30, 2007

Oxymorons

Back when I was in school (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth), and learning about the English language, I especially remember the term "oxymoron." Now, being a teenager, and with everything being laughable, I could think up numerous possible definitions for the word that have nothing to do with its meaning. Such as: oxy-moron: An idiot with acne cream on their face; a stupid ox (human or animal). Anything other than the actual definition which, according to dictionary.com is - Rhetorical figure by which contradictory terms are conjoined so as to give point to the statement or expression; the word itself is an illustration of the thing. Now often used loosely to mean "contradiction in terms." The Oxymoron is seen/heard literally everyday in our speech, on the television news programs, and now, from my 11 year old daughter.

The other day, we were coming home from rehearsal (Cedar Rapids Performance Co. - the kids' summer show choir company), and it was blistering hot outside. A day like that in April is an oxymoron in itself! I was having a fit, mostly just in a bad mood because it was hot and I was uncomfortable, and my daughter piped up, "Mom, loosen up and get a grip!" Well, I thought I would pee my pants from laughing because, MacKenzie has a point. I did need to loosen up and I needed to get a grip. Needless to say, I did relax and I laughed at that the rest of the day.

Speaking of Cedar Rapids Performance Co....what an awesome outlet for kids with creative energy to expend! If they like to sing, dance, and otherwise entertain others with their antics, then CRPC is the perfect place to do it! Tyler and MacKenzie have been in the company now for 6 years (Ty) and 5 years (Mac) respectively. They love it and it gives them the instruction they need in the technical aspects of performing they can take with them when school begins again in the fall. I love it too! That's my plug for the day.
Check out the video streams I have attached to this blog of Happiness Inc. They are the premier show choir of one of our local high schools and my alma mater, Kennedy High School. This is what my children are aspiring to next. I wish them the best of luck - and love.

Oh, and on an ending note...yes, there are advertisements on my blog. I thought if I could make a buck or two, so be it! :-)

No comments: