Thursday, April 26, 2007

This is Potter


This is the cat of the century, the funniest of felines, the one, the only -- Potter the Wondercat. Yes...he is named for that legendary character, "Harry Potter" only my kitty is "HAIRY" Potter. Of every companion I have ever known, Potter is paws down the most loyal. Human friends leave eventually, and human lovers will break your heart, but my Potter loves me unconditionally - as long as I give him food.

I had a speech/communications professor once who told me that pets do NOT love humans. Humans are nothing more than a source of food for the pet. They are conditioned to know that when the human touches them, that food is coming soon, so the cat purrs. All my life, I have thought that my cats (or dogs as the case may be) truly loved me by the way that they meowed, purred, or wagged their tail when I came near them. Maybe that stretching when I brushed them was what really did it. During my Fundamentals of Communication class, Professor S. told me that pets don't love people and I was floored! It can't be true! But, he was right. As much as I love my kitty, my kitty doesn't love me and I will just have to accept it and move on with my life.

BUT I WON'T! I will continue to love my Potter. I will brush him, I will feed him, I will scoop his poop, and when he purrs or meows at me, I will believe....

That my kitty loves me.

No comments: