Thursday, April 19, 2007

Recurring Dreams - er- Nightmares

People tell you all the time that they have this recurring dream about someone chasing them, screaming at them, falling off a 35-story building, etc. etc. Usually though, it is the same dream over and over again. I'm a very vivid dreamer, and typically remember my dreams in great detail. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes its not, sometimes I'd just as soon not talk about it at all! Not this time though - LUCKY YOU!

I'm really not sure when it started, but since I was very young (not just last year either, so shut up) some of my dreams have a recurring theme rather than just recurring over and over. In other words, the subject matter is the same, the circumstances are pretty much the same, but the time, the place, and the people are always different. What is this topic of nocturnal adventure, you ask? Tornadoes. And not the fake Hollywood kind either, but the real, in-your-face, sounding like a freight train, blowing you off your feet tornadoes. The similarities between my tornado dreams are that I am never alone. I am always with friends, family, or both. I'm very brave. And nobody dies. Last night's dream was no different. I'm on our disaster management team at work - CERT. So, its stands to reason that I would be brave in the face of any danger. Yeah right - guess what? I'm a big coward! Anyway - in my dream, I'm leaving work at the end of the day and its summer time. For those of you that don't live in Iowa, summer is synonymous with severe weather around here. I'm leaving work, its hot, humid, and feels like a storm coming. You can feel the charged ions in the air and the smell of the wind is unmistakable. I look outside and sure enough, the rain is coming down in sheets, the wind is blowing, and I'm thinking, "There is no way in Hell I'm going outside in this." The hail begins, and not just little pea-size or even marble-sized hail - I'm talking about big-ass baseball-sized stones of ice that would give you a concussion upon impact, and stick you in the hospital for a week, likely in an irreversible coma. There is a counter in the lobby of my building (not in real life, just in my dream) that me and a few of my friends are standing behind watching the weather. We hear the sirens which always means that CERT has to do their thing! I start back to my work area which of course is right next to a window (what fun would a dingy office with no windows be?) and then I see the big-ass baseball-sized hail punching holes in the windows..but they look like the holes that bullets make in bullet-proof glass...funny looking only bigger (great description there!). I'm ready to save people from the evil lurking outside. I don my gear - lime green helmet and vest, grab my 50 lb. backpack full of band-aids, and look out the window. I hear the wind pick up and there, over the horizon, comes the funnel - black, ominous, and really pissed off. I grab my friends, head to the stairwell, and hide like a true hero till the storm passes. The sun comes out, nobody dies, and the building is intact. I wake up.

Like I said before, I have been having this same dream over and over for years. My mother thinks I'm crazy (Mom, that's what shrinks and medication are for!), and her mother - my grandmother - thinks its a gift and that I'm just like her! That is my preferred explanation; "Leave me alone! I'm just like Grandma!"

What does all of this mean exactly? Why do some people remember every detail of their dreams and others swear they don't dream at all? Do I remember them because my dream-life is much more interesting, intense, and magical than my real-life?

No - I think its the chocolate covered cherry Blizzard I had before bed.

3 comments:

lemondrop182 said...

Funny, I also dream about tornadoes. I wonder if this is common for people who've actually witnessed one? Have you? I also have very vivid dreams and now you have made me want to start an online dream journal! Check out http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
I consult this from time to time. I like their idea of what a tornado represents in a dream. Check it out!

Love ya,
Fleabag

Cara Jo said...

Hey you! I'll have to check that out. Yes, I have witnessed one, but I remember very little about it. Perhaps that is the root of my issue. Who needs a shrink when I can BLOG!!

"Lardass"

coopiechew said...

I've always been amazed by watching storms and have seen many funnel clouds form. I've only had one close call. When I was young, a tornado hit close to our home and the daylight became totally black. We heard the howling of the funnel. Our family ran to the basement only when we saw our metal bathtub fly 50 ft in the air past the side door of the house. I actually stepped on my 2 year old sister in the scramble. I was so ashamed...but, it was so dark and we were rushing. I couldn't see her. (About the bathtub...yes, in those days, we actually lived for a short time in a house with a portable bathtub and an outhouse and only cold running water.) That is another story...

Interesting blog ...when I was 9 or 10, I used to have this recurring dream of Elvis, you know...the "King". I dreamed over and over again that he fell in love with me, even though I was way too young for him. He just adored me and wanted to be with me. I remember, the last part of the dream changed many times. Somtimes, it was discovered that I really wasn't as young as everyone had told me I was, so then it was justified that Elvis and I could be together. Occasionally, I was given a dose of a strange substance that magically turned me into a mature, gorgeous young (but older than 9)woman. Other times, he would just wait until I was old enough to be with him. Thinking about that dream in retrospect, seems very weird that his very situation in life sort of mirrored that dream...he 'had to have' Priscilla B. to fulfil his life. Hmmmmmm (And, she was obviously not getting her needs met as a young 14 year old girl.)

I can only think of that one recurring dream that I've ever had over and over again, other than those nighmares one gets when we're pregnant. I know I had recurring dreams then, but none that I can remember now.

However, I can think of pshycic premonitions I've had over the years and phenomenons I've witnessed.....that could be another whole blog thingy, which I'm not getting into now. In fact, I try to tune out those intuitions...too much to handle.
And, if you are wondering...yes, I do lean toward believing in that sixth sense, based solely on my own experiences.

Blog on,
Coopiechew