Thursday, June 7, 2007

Baseball & Sunshine

What could be better than sitting in the sun, watching your favorite baseball team win one on the road? Well, sunblock would have been a good idea! Yesterday, Larry, me and another couple - Craig and Robin - took off on the bus to Milwaukee to watch the Chicago Cubs play the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park. Now, normally on these bus trips, members of the "blue-haired brigade" are along; its been my experience that more than half of the folks that go on these trips are retired people-median age is about 70. Anyway, when you book a trip to a sporting event, and taking into consideration the typical age of a passenger, normally, the tickets are for seats under the terrace. There, you are out of the sun, yet, you can see really well. Miller Park is one of those ballparks that doesn't have a lot of shade. It does not have the charm of Wrigley Field, but it also does not have those annoying support poles in your way. Drawback=sitting in the sun for 4 hours. Short sleeves didn't help either, but at least I was smart and didn't wear shorts, but instead, blue jeans. While sitting there, laughing with Robin, making good-natured fun of the players (Did you know that Pie's last name - pronounced Pe-aye) means "foot" in Spanish? Robin is fluent and told me so. When Pie would come to bat, we would yell, "Go, Foot!!!!" I guess you had to be there. We laughed, we ate ballpark food - pretzels, popcorn, Dippin Dots - drank Mike's Hard Lemonade (I only had one) and we had a wonderful time. So, again, while sitting there enjoying the atmosphere, I cooked my arms. We could have easily carved them up and ate them like turkey legs. It probably would have felt better than my scorched skin!

Robin is one of my best friends. She has been there for me through some really dark days, and she has brightened up a lot of other days. We used to work together. She used to do what I do - evaluate calls - and when we met, we hit it off immediately. We are very much alike. She is one year younger than I am -- Yes, Robin, I admit it - and yet, she is way more mature than me. We make each other laugh and there is nothing more wonderful than having a good laugh with a good friend. I thank God for her friendship often.

My other good friend is Karen. Now, Karen and I have a different friendship and it is just as important to me as Robins. Karen is older than me (I won't say how much older), but I look up to her. I am the oldest of my mother's 3 children and the oldest of my father's 4 children (long story). I never had an older sibling to lean on, and I had to learn everything the hard way. Karen is in a way, my surrogate big sister. I'm not sure what I would do without her, and I hope I never have to find out. Karen has a daughter -Amanda- I call her "Amanda Panda" and she lets me get away with it. Amanda just turned 13 and is very good friends with my kids. They have so much fun together, and they do love each other. While we were at the game, Karen picked up the kids, took them back to her place, and let them spend the night. Well, I think she deserves a medal, but she insists that the kids were really good and had a fabulous time.

I am very blessed. I have the love of a wonderful GOD, the love of a good husband, the joy of my beautiful children, and the support of terrific friends. I must learn never to take any of them for granted.

By the way - the Cubs won.

No comments: