Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Its Just Like My Life!

I've told you all about my daughter, MacKenzie, right? Well, she is 11 and her best friend, Brittany, is 12. They were out riding bikes today and Mac took a little tumble. Evidently, she was riding too close to the back end of Brit's bike, hit the back tire, and went ass-over-apple-cart, ultimately landing on her little backside. She bruised her tailbone, and has a nice big strawberry on her right gluteus maximus. While this isn't funny to most people-most would say, "Oh...Poor Baby!"- I laugh my fool head off! Mac has not been the most graceful of children this week. Yesterday, she was walking up the back steps, into the house, and tripped on the stairs. She slid down their rough, concrete facade, scraping up the back of her leg, her forearm and her elbow. So...now, she just looks like she got hit by a car...a real train wreck!! Bruises on her arms, scrapes on her legs and butt, and she half-cries-half-laughs every time she moves. She sees the humor in it, but it hurts, so she doesn't know how to react. Yes....Poor Baby. I told her to sit on some ice for her butt and she looked at me like I was insane. The next minute I catch her shifting around and sure enough, she has the ice pack under that raw right cheek. As I think of it now, I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face. :-)

Mac wanted to read to me again tonight. She is really in the habit now of reading at least one chapter of whatever book she is into to me before she goes to sleep. I love it. It gives me a chance to be near her, and listen to how far she has come in her reading and comprehension abilities -- actually, I just like to lay on her bed - she has a nicer mattress than I do. Anyway, tonight we began a new book, "Sammy Keyes and the Mystery of Moustache Mary." I LOVE Sammy Keyes books!! They are fabulously written (can't think of the author just now), imaginative, and descriptive, and Sammy (who is female) reminds me so much of me when I was in that 'tween stage of life. Tonight, Mac was reading about Sammy riding on some one's handlebars when she gets thrown off, skids across the pavement, and scrapes herself up, but good. Mac looks at me, sighs, and says, "Its just like my life!" I laughed out loud, nearly peeing my pajama pants, as she looked at me seriously and said, "Mom! It is not funny that I hurt my butt!!" Oh, Mac, YES IT IS!!! She cracks me up. Everyday, she says or does something that makes me laugh or smile, or just chuckle to myself - I hate to say it, but I think she just reminds me of me when I was her age. My mom says so all the time, that Mac is her mother made over. Good Lord...Don't You think unleashing one of me on the world was enough? Maybe it was all the mistakes I made over the years? Maybe the Lord is trying again with a younger model? We will never know - at least not till we get to meet Him in person one day!

Mac tried out for the middle school show choir. She will be entering middle school this fall, so they have auditions in the Spring, just before school lets out for the year. Tyler is already a member, and will be in his final year of middle school this fall. Anyway, Mac tried out. She didn't think she did all that well, and was worried about her dancing ability. The director emailed me and asked Mac to come back in for a call back this week. That can only mean 2 things...either she is really bad, and they just want to give her a chance to redeem herself, or she is border lining on pretty decent, and they want to make sure that they are making the right decision to keep her. Well, actually, it was a call back to make sure that they COULD take her. She showed her skills at both singing and dancing again, and then taught the dance to a few students who didn't make it to the first audition last week!! That did it! She showed her compassion and love for teaching others. She is kind, and patient, and giving of herself. These are qualities in my daughter that I cherish above many others. We got the news today that she was awarded a place in the group!! There were over 400 students that tried out, and only room for 30 boys and 30 girls. I am VERY proud of her.

Well, tomorrow is another day! Thank you to those who read my blog and leave comments. Its nice to know that someone is enjoying my ramblings!
Good night!

No comments: