Monday, May 14, 2007

Missing in Action

No, I haven't been gone. Just busy! Yes, I know-excuses, excuses. Actually, things have been a little crazy. We had a house guest for the weekend...Melissa (her REAL name!). Our family met Melissa about 5 years ago. When Larry and I bought our house, and had to move the kids to a new school, etc., we needed to find someone who would be willing to pick up the kids for school in the morning, bring them home in the afternoon, and stay with them until one of us got home. The kids were pretty young then, and I really wasn't comfortable leaving them alone (truth was, I was afraid that Tyler might bury his sister in the backyard if left alone with her for too long!). I posted an ad at a local college, and Melissa was the first one to contact me. I invited her over for an interview, and we immediately clicked. She was going into social work, focusing on kids, and so it was a win/win for everyone! Melissa worked with us for 3 years until she graduated. By then, the kids were older and more able to look after themselves. Tyler was over wanting to bury his sister in the backyard, and MacKenzie was beyond freaking out every time I left the house. Melissa, went on to grad school, earning her master's degree this year. CONGRATULATIONS!! She was to attend a wedding back here for a college friend, and called to ask if she could stay with us for a few days. Well, what was I going to say but -- HELL NO! Just kidding. Of course she could stay with us. She got here last Thursday and left today. It was wonderful having her around again, and the kids had so much fun with her while she was here. She took them shopping, spoiled them rotten, and then left. Figures. We love her very much and hope to see her again soon. Our family became complete when Melissa came into our lives.

Mother's Day was wonderful. Mac got me some Bath and Body stuff - Exotic Coconut body spray (what? Do I stink?), Larry got me some CD racks for my vast collection (all George Strait, Reba McIntire, and the like), Tyler wrote me a sonnet (to be published at the end of this entry), and I bought myself some LiaSophia jewelry. Fun fun fun! We visited with my mom most of the afternoon yesterday, just relaxing on the porch, Larry put Mom's flower planter together (red geraniums, spike plants, dusty miller, and ivy), and we visited with the horses. The day was beautiful, breezy, and warm. I love Spring. It doesn't get much better than this around here!

Then there was today -- 91 degrees, windy and humid. GAG I thought I would suffocate. Tomorrow we are only supposed to get up to 65 - what does that mean? - STORMS!! Batten down the hatches, and hoist the...well...you get the picture.

I weighed in this morning. Crap - falling back the wrong way again. It was probably the french fries, and cookies I ate last week. Its amazing how that goes straight to my mid-section and the pounds inch back on after just one week. Of course, if I wouldn't eat that stuff nearly every day, I probably wouldn't have this problem. I know what I need to do - more fruits and veggies, more exercise, more sleep, and of course...more sex. Well, 3 out of 4 isn't bad I suppose. Mac and I took a walk at a nearby park that has a mile long walking trail - I made it one lap (1 mile) and I was done. Well, dammit, it was hot and humid. Not the best conditions for someone like me. We went grocery shopping and I got my new lifestyle (NOT another diet!) off to a fabulous start - for dinner we had Confetti Wraps (various diced veggies, turkey, low fat cheese, and reduced fat 1000 isl. dressing) that were just to die for! There is just enough for me to take some to work tomorrow for lunch. No french fries. No cookies. That is my new mantra.

I hope Mother's Day was extra special for all of you. I know that my children are the greatest gift that GOD could have ever given me. Sometimes I think that I don't deserve them, and other times, I think that I REALLY don't deserve them! Kiss your kids tonight and give them an extra hug. Whether we like it or not, we are in this parenting thing for the long haul - we may as well embarrass them while we can.

A Sonnet for my Mom - by: Tyler

A mothers love
A wondrous thing
With a passion burning

A brute force
That conquers hearts
That’s very sly and smart

Music of comfort
Calms the strongest storm
And keeps the little kids out of harm

Eyes of Beauty
That can puncture those that lie
And give a look which make you want to die

A heart of gold
That beats with a powerful delight
To separate her children when they start to fight

I love you mom
You are that one that means more
Than any sand you count on every single shore

I now would like to say to you
I love you bigger
Than the sky that’s blue


Now that says it all. I love you too, Buddy. ---Mom

No comments: