Monday, January 7, 2008

Puppy Training


Lexie Jo cracks me up!! That is our 5 month old black Lab puppy. Lexie weighed just 19 lbs. when we got her at 9 weeks old. She now weighs about 45 lbs and is so strong, sometimes I swear she is walking me! On Monday nights, she goes to Puppy Basic Training at Kirkwood Community College. At first, I thought there was no way that anyone was going to teach this big, wagging, ball of fur anything, let alone to sit, stay and lay down. But over the course of just a few weeks, my little pup has turned into a sitting, staying, laying machine! I think if they had a Dean's List for puppies, she would be at the top!


In all actuality, the purpose of Puppy training is to train the puppy's owner, not so much the puppy. I have learned to treat her like a dog, not a human (imagine that). I have learned that food is the ultimate in persuasion (try bribery). And I have learned that there is a tickle spot on her tummy just above where her back leg joins her hip.


There are several dogs of varying breeds in our class. There are two Golden Retrievers, Wrigley and Max, who look like brothers but are not related at all. They like Lexie and try to jump on her whenever possible. There is Zoey, the little Sheltie who at first didn't want to go for walks and would drag her butt on the ground, but now we call the Escape Artist because she manages to wiggle free of her collar whenever possible. There is Duke, a big, black furry dog who whines through class, and many others that all have their own distinct personalities.


Lexie by far is the most animated; well, maybe I'm a little prejudiced, but it seems that way. Next week is he last puppy class, then later in the week she gets fixed. Ten days later, we start "Dog-1." I wonder what THAT will include?


Regardless, I love my Lexie. She loves me when I'm horrible, and works hard to get me outside for walks; which I need more often than not.


Now, quit your barking!!

No comments: