Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Little Miracles

There are many times in this blog that I have ranted and raved, complained, vented and otherwise bitched about the sufferings of being the parent of teen aged children. Well, this is not one of those times. Last night we attended the final vocal concert at the kids' school. Mac had her performance at 6pm, then we went back at 8pm for Tyler's. MacKenzie sang a solo during her performance - "Seasons of Love" from the Broadway musical RENT. She did so wonderful, just standing there alone on the stage, singing her heart out. She said later that she just kept her eyes on me in the audience so that she didn't lose her nerve. I am so proud of her!!
Then, nearing the end of Tyler's performance, he too had a solo. He sang "Song For Mama" by Boys II Men. He sang with such passion and even though he didn't get through it all (he forgot the words to part of it), he impressed everyone there. At the end, he walked out to the audience, found me, and gave me a single, long stemmed rose. He is such a charmer! I find humor in most everything and this was no exception - my son who in wanting to do something nice for his mom was so nervous that he was swinging the rose around back stage. He broke the stem, sending the blooming flower, still attached to about 3 inches of stem, flying across the room. Before he came on stage, he rounded up some Scotch tape and taped it back to the flower. Of course I didn't notice this until I went to bring the bloom to my nose to smell it and it toppled off into my lap! Tyler was so embarrassed! When we got home, he made it up to me by singing the whole song.

For all the times we rage against the injustices in the world, the crime, the indecency, the water in our basements; we only need to look into the eyes of our children to see that there is hope, love, peace - and drier ground.

I love you guys!

No comments: