Thursday, May 1, 2008

Should We Build an Ark?

I'm still looking for a rainbow. The Bible talks about God sending Noah a rainbow after it rained 40 days and 40 nights. The rainbow was God's promise that He would never again send the waters to cover the Earth. The last time I wrote, was about 2 weeks ago when the heavy rains first began. Today is May 1st, and it is once again raining - well - my friend, Joe, tells me it is going to anyway. Our basement is just now beginning to recover from the last deluge. The pee smell is gone, and the water that was once a running stream to my floor drain is now nothing but a trickle. The light that once illuminated the end of the proverbial tunnel has gone out. There are tornado warnings south and west of us and Joe tells me that the ugly stuff is coming tomorrow - more heavy rains and thunderstorms. Well, just as I cannot do anything about the absence of the rainbow I seek, I can't do anything about the impending storm. I resolve to simply wait it out.

Oh my goodness! Just now, I was interrupted by MacKenzie who informed me that I was negligent in RSVPing her to a friend's mother for the friend's birthday party that is scheduled for this weekend. She is very dramatic - this daughter of mine. "Mom! It is 9:30 at night! You can't possibly calle her now!" What she fails to realize is that I am an adult. I am perfectly able to call the child's mother tomorrow during the day and if she isn't home I will be leaving a message advising her that my daughter has my permission to attend the party. Sheesh! Life as Mac knows it is NOT coming to an end for crying out loud! I wonder often if I was like her when I was her age...or rather, if she was like me. My mom says that she is and I was. I suppose there is something to that "curse" that all mothers inevitably place on their children - "I hope you grow up to have a child just like you!" I love these little tantrums of hers though. Sometimes she gets so passionate that I can't help but crack a smile, and then she really gets mad. When that happens I can almost not help but laugh. She assures me though that when she is 16 she won't be one of those girls who is mean to their mothers. I guess we will see about that.

Here is your motivation for the day:

BE WELL GROUNDED
It can often be useful and interesting to wander away from your original path for a while. Sometimes you discover a new and much more fulfilling direction that way.
Yet if all you ever do is wander off, you won't be able to get anywhere. When you give in to every distraction, nothing will ever get accomplished.
Be curious, be open to new experiences, be willing to do things you've never done, to go new places and to meet new people. Remember, though, to also give your life a solid, steady context through which you can create real value out of all the diverse experiences that come your way.
A stable foundation in your life does not necessarily have to limit you. In fact, it can enable you to make the most of the new and interesting opportunities that come your way.
Being well grounded provides a strong base from which you can operate with effectiveness and confidence. Taking good care of the mundane and boring aspects of life gives you the time, energy and resources to fully explore the most exciting possibilities.
Be sure to mix your progressive, adventurous vision with a good dose of old fashioned common sense. It's a proven recipe for outstanding success.

No comments: