Thursday, May 22, 2008

I Have Survived the Time Warp

The Time Warp - that is what I'm calling this jump to the next decade of my life. On May 19th, I began my life as a 40 year old, sophisticate. A woman with two teenage children, a full time job, a degree in progress, and the most unruly dog on the planet - more on her later. My family are sneaky people. They enjoy publicly humiliation as long as it them that is inflicting it, rather than enduring it, and they had to have an accomplice - my best friend, Karen. Where am I going with this? Guess. Yes, you're right, they threw me a surprise party. Last Wednesday, Karen emailed me at work, wanting to know if we wanted to go out for dinner on Friday with her and her daughter, Amanda. Well, Karen and I haven't had time to get together for a long time, and I knew that the weekend would be a nightmare, so I readily agreed. Ruby Tuesday, west side of town, 7:15-7:30 or thereabouts. Nothing unusual about that. Then...we arrived.

We walked in the place and I told the hostess that we were meeting a friend and her daughter. She led us to a brightly decorated table; balloons (black and red. with 3 Mylars - Aged to Perfection, 40, and It isn't the AGE, its the ATTITUDE), a tree of 40s prominently displayed as a centerpiece and seated around the table - everyone. My mother, father, grandmother, aunt, my youngest brother, Adam, his wife Rachael, and my 3 year old niece, Aubrey. Steve and Rhonda - some of our friends from Larry's place of employment were there too, and of course, Karen and Amanda. I was completely floored. And truly touched. The cake was perfect; Happy Birthday Cara in BLACK icing, and then underneath that, written in red, Better Over than Under. That's the truth! There was lots of 80s music; some that I had even forgotten about, and of course, Dad told stories about my childhood - ask me sometime about the time I put the hamburgers on the grill - and embarrassed me mercilessly. Yes, it was a good time.

In my entries leading up to this milestone, I have expressed a certain dread about turning the big 4-0, but really, it isn't too bad. My 83 year old grandmother put it in perspective for me. She said, "Don't complain about being 40. When you have 5 children and the 2 oldest are already 60 then you can complain." I guess so!!

I thought I would look in the mirror and ask myself, "What have you accomplished in 40 years?" But it isn't like that. I'm more interested in what I'll do the next 40 years! I'll work on financial fitness, I'll continue to expand my mind with education, culture, and experience, I will love much, and I will try to forgive the past. This is not the jumping off point. This is the first day of the rest of my life.

Thank you to all who were there to help me celebrate, Thank you to Mom for having me, and Thank you to GOD for looking out for me so that I could get here.

1 comment:

La La said...

Happy birthday and welcome to your 40's. I had doubts, myself, but so far, the first 5 months of ME being 40 havn't been so bad. It's like... now that I'm 40, my age seems less important. But then again, I'm probably in denial. :-)