Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Flood of 2008


It is truly amazing to me how our community has come together in this time of crisis. I was especially touched by a Bible devotion sent to me by my pastor, and I'll include it in this entry. It helps me understand that this world is truly temporary. We are only here for a short time before we are called Home to our Heavenly Father...


Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. - 2 Corinthians 5:1God’s people in the Old Testament knew about living in tents. The Israelites lived in them for 40 years as they traveled through the wilderness until they took possession of the land that God had promised them. Every year thereafter, God commanded them to observe a festival called "The Feast of Tabernacles" during which they built tents in their backyards to live in for a week. This festival reminded them how God brought them through the wilderness to their permanent home in the Promised Land.This verse from 2 Corinthians reminds us that we are on a “camping trip”. The tents we have are not made out of canvass, but they are the tents of our bodies. Sooner or later age and use are going to destroy these tents. We are going to die. But through Jesus Christ we know we are leaving our tents to go and live in the permanent home that God has promised and prepared for us. We are going to heaven by faith in our Savior.Perhaps your tent is starting to show some signs of wear. It might be breaking down. Don't let that bother you, remember that your heavenly home awaits you when your camping trip in this life is over.Prayer:Every ache and pain, declining abilities, and failing functions of my body are reminders that my life here is only temporary. Dear God, prevent me from being overwhelmed with this reality. Instead keep my eyes sharply focused on Jesus through whom I have the complete confidence that I will live gloriously in heaven. Amen.


Podcast Version. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. View this online at: WAJ: WELS Evangelism Devotion Service: Daily Devotions : A Camping Trip

No comments: