Monday, July 14, 2008

Communication - or The Lack Thereof

Funny thing - communication. With open lines of communication thoughts freely move from one place or person to another, it is easy then to know how the other person feels, and life is pretty decent. When communication shuts down, one needs to rely on their telepathic skills to read the other's mind; well frankly, I'm not much of a mind reader.
So, when someone won't tell me what their issue is, what am I suppose to do? Guess? No way. I'm not even going to think about going there. What do YOU think? Here's the scenario: Man comes home everyday from work, dog tired, retreats immediately to his bedroom to "watch TV," falls asleep, gets up to eat dinner, and then back to bed for the remainder of the night. That is unless he needs to take a few minutes to bark something at young people within the residence. Meanwhile, Woman comes home from working all day, tired, but accepting that she is the glue that holds the family together; folds 3 loads of laundry, puts another in the washer, and still another in the dryer; responds to Man who has asked her what she planned for supper ("I don't know...what did you plan?"); spends more time cooking supper; eats, folds another load of laundry and then around 8pm, she gets 5 minutes to check her email, read, or just veg out. Keep in mind, Man is still sleeping. Then, Man wakes up from nap; proceeds to sit behind Woman working on the computer which absolutely drives her crazy! "Hello! What can I help you with?" Man leaves (looking dejected - whatever!). Woman goes back to living room, Man is there watching baseball. Man actually thinks that Woman is in the mood for a little "action." Get real!

Is this the "typical" life of an American married couple? I wonder...do my married friends go through this exact same scenario day after day? Women - we work 16 hours a day while our men work 8 and then come home "dog tired." What is he doing all day that makes him need 16 hours of sleep?

True affection is non-existent. My hand goes unheld, lips go unkissed, shoulders go unrubbed, and heart gets colder every day. I am spending my days at work - which I LOVE as it keeps me occupied - and my nights fantasizing about someone else's life. Just once I would love for someone - anyone - to put their arms around me and let me cry. I never thought that the day would come when I would feel completely alone in a house full of people. But that day is here. I have never felt so lonely. No wonder I catch myself dreaming of someone I could never have. No wonder I vent to my best friend all the hurt that I'm feeling; and then feeling guilty because she has to raise her daughter alone. No wonder...

So, what do I do next? Do I flip out and tell him it's my way or the highway? Do I just sit quietly and wait for the storm to pass? Or, do I do nothing and accept that this is just the way it is and will be?

No comments: